Thursday 12 July 2012

(The earth shattering realisation that things will never stay as they are forever)

Today was one of those end of school things again. I hate those things because I've been subjected to a variety of the same motion for the past 5 years in the same school. It was filled with the same chorus of 'Have a nice summer' from both students and teachers alike. The same hour-long mass in the church a few minutes from the school in which everyone in the year is obligated to attend because we are in a Catholic School (and teachers check attendances).

 As the priest said his parting words, where I am selfishly exhaling in relief that I no longer have to do the stand-up-sit-down-oh-wait-let's-kneel thing the teacher from behind the piano stood up and spoke. He doesn't usually speak in these things, that's weird but he's nice. He announces that he's no longer joining us next year. I don't remember how the crowd of hypnotised students responded, however my memory chooses to play it back with a collective gasp and screams of extreme pain and agony.

It takes a while so sink in that I will no longer see this teacher daily walking with his mug of coffee and politely opening doors for people. I will no longer be able to compliment his bizarre choices of ties and experimental growth of facial hair. I'm filled with this weird sentimental feeling which swelled slowly as we walked back to school.

 But I'm not the one who's affected the most. I can still function in my normal everyday school without the teacher and his mug of coffee and polite door-opening manners. I could sit here and write about how I will cry in the corner of my room each night clutching a picture of him but I will be lying. And as I read back this last paragraph, I realise how cold it sounds but what I'm saying is that there are other students who he actually teaches and other people who are his friends in that school who will constantly miss his presence.

And what makes me most sad is that the teacher leaving the school signifies that nothing is going to be stable forever. There is a fact that things will change and move on even though it may leave a crowd of crying students behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers