Thursday 26 July 2012

DON'T make it a task. (or do.)

A few days ago, I was so pumped to do the one-film-per-day thing. Seriously, I could have watched 7 films in a day. But I realised this morning I don't like waking up with the thought of having to do something because I've committed to it. It's an awful feeling.

 So, now my eyes have been opened to a revelation that may change my way of living as I know it (it probably won't). If you as a human being love doing something, don't make it a task. I'm not saying don't do it. Just don't make it a task.

This is the definition of the word 'task' according to the dictionary in my laptop (which means it's 100% accurate)

task |task|nouna piece of work to be done or undertaken.verb [ trans. (usu. be tasked)assign such a piece of work to NATO troops are tasked with separating the warring parties.• make great demands on (someone's resources or abilities) it tasked his diplomatic skill to effect his departure in safety.

The idea of making something a task pairs with the idea of meeting expectations. And I often have these weird self destructive tendencies. Not in a dangerous jumping-off-tall-trees-way but more like if I was playing chess with my brother and he says "Oh, wow, you're winning.." I will somehow panic and be all like "Holy crap I am? I must keep doing what I've been doing so I'll win. But what was I doing? Where does this piece move? What is this board made of? I need to pee."and lose the game.

 It's a personal thing, though. I admire people who work well under pressure. Like the ones with little sticky notes on their desks and checklists and glide on rainbows gracefully as they go through those checklists. I've tried to hard to be organised but I just don't do well (or anything).

If you are a human being who personally goes through things in life by viewing them as tasks, I would like you to take me under your wing and teach me your Jedi ways because I'm struggling here.

1 comment:

  1. I find it difficult to understand what other way we'll get things done, if they are NOT tasks.I do identify with your plight but, I mean, if we have a number of things to do, they automatically become tasks. I don't do that well with checklists either but I still make them as a sort of realistic goal to work towards. Making tasks take activities which would have otherwise been fun and make them something we no longer want to do even if we still enjoy it in a different context... I think the trick is (as another blogger said): When creating a task we shouldn't forget what it is on an individual level,which is 'fun'. So it's could be to improve our ability at completing tasks rather than avoiding making 'em. Keep Working on it!

    ReplyDelete

Followers