Sunday 8 April 2012

The Shakespearean Clearout.


By the time I was 10, I wasn't as academically (or even just generally) evolved as the bright and genius kids so I remember being able to read sentences and taking a while to absorb them. Sometimes I would read through sentences and just pick out the stuff I understood because I'm too impatient and I want to know when something interesting is going to happen. So I miss out on the little wordplays and clues the authors had put in. What a sucky reader.

Then my mother got this box of Shakespeare stories, just literally a 'kid-version-summary' of his plays with some illustrations that some may find brilliant (though at the time I, again, remember thinking they were the ugliest drawings I've ever seen) I never liked much of the stories there, there was a tale of 'Romeo and Juliet' which I've heard a lot of and made it a horrible read knowing *spoiler* they were both going to die at the end.

The only story I liked was 'Twelfth Night' because it was probably the only one without a tragic death at the end. And I wondered if Shakespeare was some sort of sadistic man that hated everyone and if he was ever a modern Hollywood film director his ending would be the main protagonists holding hands along a sunset before getting machine gunned by an angry third person.

Now I'm wondering what I should do with these stories... bury them in some sort of radioactive proof box so that after earth is wiped down by a meteor the next generation of living organisms will discover them and display them in a museum? Possibly try to analyse it and look at those ugly drawings with curiosity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers