Saturday 27 October 2012

The Super Secret Comic Book Store. (It's not really)

I once roamed this world with a dream. Well, not exactly a dream-- more of a tiny hope somewhere in my subconscious. I've always wanted to find a secret place. To define a secret place in the most eloquent manner, it is a place that is awesome because it has awesome stuff-- but it's a secret.

 This tiny hope was reinforced by years of subliminal media influence: I've watched a majority of The Big Bang Theory characters going down to the cool comic book shop and the characters from Friends hanging out in their low key cafĂ©. Therefore, it was all clear for me. I wanted to find a secret place. As I think about this right now, I realise how insignificant and not life altering this is but it was finally fulfilled today.

 My friend and I stumbled upon a little yellow sign peeking out, with a picture of Clark Kent during one of our too-early-in-the-morning-photography-time. The adventure-seeking hooligans that we are, we decided to enter it.

Lo and behold. As we finally figured out the sign at the door said 'pull' instead of 'push' the welcoming warmth succumbed and forcefully dragged us into the holy grail of comic books. There were shelves of old and new editions. The prices were at least 1/4th how they are sold from the bookshops I've previously encountered.

The people who work there are cool and do not follow you around with blinding enthusiasm. They have tattoos and piercings on their cheek and don't feel the need to give you a receipt because they're too cool for receipts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers