Thursday 20 December 2012

Weird Teenager (A brief, inconclusive analysis on how it's a justifiable excuse for heightened feelings with a slightly depressing end).

I am part of the younger human species more commonly identified as 'teenagers'. Now, this word is commonly associated with stereotypical characteristics such as having LOTS OF SEX AND DRUGS. However, I am unfortunately not within that scope of stereotype but rather in the SOCIALLY AWKWARD end of the spectrum.

 I guess the teen years are quite a muddled up, dodgy area in terms of a general, definitive time of a person's life; on one hand there's some sort of worldwide consensus that this is the time where you do what you want because you're young. But on the other is the feeling of not belonging completely as we've just passed the childhood/adolescence stage and not quite reached full adulthood. Of course, this is also varying from individual perspectives: there was a time when what we now considered children were working or when it was common to be married by 13 years old... (*coughRomeoandJuliet*)

There's also the idea of "maturity" in context of how an individual reacts to certain situations such as  being given an opportunity for a penis joke (I can't think of one right now due to my extreme maturity, this is too hard.)

One of the few perks about this is that being part of the 'teens' within the human species means that it is assumed to be a valid excuse for almost everything. Things like hitting puberty, brain development, hormonal changes etc. caters for a majority of our behaviour. Being 'rebellious' or having our walls covered with One Direction posters --though would normally be seen a socially unacceptable/weird-- is assumed to be a product of our biology.

 These sort of things make me wonder... if things that I feel extreme about such as my current state of being, the people I like are just a rush of serotonin or dopamine or oxytocin

...would dissipate just as quickly as they appear.


1 comment:

  1. TO the last part: NO NO NO (or maybe I;m just in denial)

    ok. I do agree that our current emotions are somewhat amplified compared to people of the older generation, but there isn't necessarily a point where it will just dissipate, it is pretty gradual disappearance of interest and it will then be justified by 'maturing'. Growing out of One-direction, for example. Although, I think adults in general aren't feeling less. I think that as adults, they have more responsibility thus they will turn their awesomeness inwardly to be able to cope more successfully with the situations they come across. How they are expected to behave.

    btw, I;m not sure if I just agreed with everything you just said or if I disagreed or made no sense. I give up.

    note: It took me a long time to reach the paragraph underneath a penus reference due to the time-stoppimg laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Followers